Instructor Terms & Conditions
These Instructor Terms were last updated June 29, 2021. When you sign up to become an instructor on the SkillRipe platform, you agree to abide by these Instructor Terms (‘Terms’). These terms only cover instructors. For students and other Platform users, refer to the terms outlined here.
SkillRipe charges no fees for creating and hosting courses on the platform. This is to encourage content creators as they bring content which benefits students. As an instructor, you can create as many courses as possible. You are only limited by your own capabilities.
As an instructor, you are responsible for all content that you post, including lectures, quizzes, exercises, practice tests, assignments, resources, answers, course landing page content, and announcements (‘Course’).
You represent and warrant that:
- you will provide and maintain accurate account information;
- your Course will not infringe or misappropriate any third party’s intellectual property rights;
- you have the required qualifications, credentials, and expertise (including education, training, knowledge, and skill sets) to teach and offer the services that you offer through your Course and use of the Services; and
- you will ensure a quality of service that corresponds with the standards of your industry and instruction services in general.
You warrant that you will not:
- post or provide any inappropriate, offensive, racist, hateful, sexist, pornographic, false, misleading, incorrect, infringing, defamatory or libelous content or information;
- post or transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, or any other form of solicitation (commercial or otherwise) through the Services or to any user;
- use the Services for business other than providing tutoring, teaching, and instructional services to students;
- engage in any activity that would require us to obtain licenses from or pay royalties to any third party, including the need to pay royalties for the public performance of a musical work or sound recording;
- frame or embed the Services (such as to embed a free version of a course) or otherwise circumvent the Services;
- impersonate another person or gain unauthorized access to another person’s account;
- interfere with or otherwise prevent other instructors from providing their services or courses; or
- abuse SkillRipe resources, including support services.
License to SkillRipe
You grant SkillRipe the rights to offer, market, and otherwise exploit your Course, and to sublicense it to students for these purposes directly or through third parties. This includes the right to add captions offer coupon codes for discounts or post your content on our social media platforms.
We may record all or any part of your courses for quality control and for delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, or operating the Services. You grant SkillRipe permission to use your name, likeness, voice, and image in connection with offering, delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, and selling the Services, your Course, or SkillRipe’s content, and you waive any rights of privacy, publicity, or other rights of a similar nature, to the extent permissible under applicable law.
We reserve the right to remove courses, suspend payouts, and/or ban instructors for any reason at any time, without prior notice, including in cases where:
- a course falls below our quality standards or has a negative impact on the student experience;
- an instructor engages in behavior that might reflect unfavourably on SkillRipe or bring SkillRipe into public disrepute, contempt, scandal, or ridicule;
- an instructor engages the services of a marketer or other business partner who violates SkillRipe’s policies; or
- as determined by SkillRipe in its sole discretion.
Co-Instructors and Teaching Assistants
The SkillRipe platform allows you to add other users as co-instructors or teaching assistants for courses that you manage. By adding a co-instructor or teaching assistant, you understand that you are authorizing them to take certain actions that affect your SkillRipe account and courses. SkillRipe is not able to advise on any questions or mediate any disputes between you and such users. If your co-instructors have an assigned revenue share, their share will be paid out of your earned revenue share based on the ratios you have specified in your Course Management settings as of the date of the purchase.
Relationship to Other Users
Instructors don’t have a direct contractual relationship with students, so the only information you’ll receive about students is what is provided to you through the [platform. You agree that you will not use the data you receive for any purpose other than providing your services to those students on the SkillRipe platform, and that you won’t solicit additional personal data or store students’ personal data outside the SkillRipe platform. You will indemnify SkillRipe against any claims arising from your use of students’ personal data.
When creating a course, you will be prompted to determine the price for your course. Alternatively, you may choose to offer your course for free. All prices are in Zambian Kwacha and should be set in ZK. Once set, course prices can show in Zambian Kwacha.
You are responsible for paying applicable taxes.
When a student purchases your course, we calculate the gross amount of the sale as the amount actually received by SkillRipe from the student.
The following information indicates how the earnings are shared between you, the instructor, and SkillRipe.
Site administration: 20%
Transaction fee: ZK10 fixed amount.
Note: Fees are charged from the entire sales amount. The remaining amount will be divided among site administration and instructors as follows: 80% for instructor and 20% for site administration.
Example of earning sharing
You have a course costing K100. If a student buys that course, we share the revenue as follows
- Student pays K100
- Less K10 admin fee
- Equals K90
- Less 20% commission of K95
- Equals K72
- Instructors earns K72.
All the calculations are done automatically and appear in your dashboard as soon as the payment is through.
The report of your earnings will appear in your dashboard.
For us to pay you in a timely manner, you must own a PayPal, bank or Mobile Money account in good standing and must keep us informed of the correct email associated with your account. Depending on the applicable revenue share model, payment will be made within 14 days after we receive your request. You can send a request in your dashboard if you meet the minimum earnings specified by us.
The minimum earnings is 250 Zambian Kwacha. You can only request to be paid if you have ZK250 in earnings.
You acknowledge and agree that students have the right to receive a refund. Instructors will not receive any revenue from transactions for which a refund has been granted under the Terms of and Conditions.
If a student asks for a refund after we have paid the relevant instructor payment, we reserve the right to either (1) deduct the amount of the refund from the next payment sent to the instructor or (2) where no further payments are due to the instructor or the payments are insufficient to cover the refunded amounts, require the instructor to refund any amounts refunded to students for the instructor’s courses.
Updating These Terms
From time to time, we may update these Terms to clarify our practices or to reflect new or different practices (such as when we add new features), and SkillRipe reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify and/or make changes to these Terms at any time. If we make any material change, we are not under any obligation to inform you. You are responsible for reviewing these terms and conditions from time to time.
Your continued use of our Services after changes become effective shall mean that you accept those changes. Any revised Terms shall supersede all previous Terms.
Relationship Between Us
You and we agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, contractor, or agency relationship exists between us.
How to Contact Us
The best way to get in touch with us is to refer to our contact us page. We’d love to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback.